This role is effectively fulfilled by the 64 public libraries spread across the country. The Public Library is a division of Kenya National Library Services that provides the following library services to the public.
- Conducive reading facilities for the public (both adults and children). This is currently being enhanced through refurbishment and construction of modern libraries across the country. The lending of books and other publications to registered members of public. Bulk lending of books to learning institutions.
- Provision of an online catalogue. The Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is used to search for book titles. OPAC is now online and enables you to search for book titles from the comfort of your home, office or anywhere else so long as you have internet access.
- Technical assistance on library development to interested government and private institutions. The library offers consultancy services on how to setup, organize, staff and manage a library as well as providing on the job learning opportunities to librarians through our libraries.
- Inter-library lending. This enables users to borrow books that are available in other libraries within the knls network. The books are delivered to the library where the user is a member.
- Field practicum opportunities to those studying library and information studies. We also offer community service opportunities for students.